Welcome To The New Forum

Claim your account

We have recently updated the forum software so if you are already a member you can claim your new forum account below.

Snake Festival In Markopoulo

GunnarW

Jun 23, 2014
Belgium
I read that on the 14th and the 15th of August, there is the snake festival at the church of Markopoulo.
It seems the snakes are not dangerous. Does it make sense to visit the area a few days before? Are the snakes easy to spot?

GunnarW

Jun 23, 2014
Belgium
Yesterday, I stopped at the church of Markopoulo. There was one snake in a cage. I didn't notice other snakes in the church or in the area.<div>Today, we will go again to Markopoulo. There festival starts at 18:00 with traditional music, food...</div>

G

Its years since I heard of the snake being admired in Greek folklore.
When I first started to learn Greek Dance, a number of ancient dances depicted the movement of the snake with periods of hissing from the leader were taught, I haven't thought of them for ages, I doubt that I can recall them now.
According to the people of our village, the only good snakes are dead, preferably chopped into small pieces. Sad really but its their world who are we to argue.
Bob.

GunnarW

Jun 23, 2014
Belgium
We were at the festival on the 14th between 16:00 and 20:00.<div>It stayed with the one snake in the cage maybe caught last year. Can I conclude that this year, the snakes didn't show up? Because there was a small eath quake begin this year comparing to the one of 1953?</div>

G

I visited Kefalonia for the third time in August 2004 and visited the church in Markopoulo on the Feast of the Assumption (15th August). I visited the island at this time specifically so that I could attend the festival and also so that I could see the Olympic torch relay arrive at the beginning of the month. There were many snakes and many people there. The nuns laid the snakes on whichever part of the body ailed each person. It wasn't compulsory to participate but there were no shortage of volunteers! I didn't meet any other tourists there, only Greeks, and other tourists that I spoke with on the island were unaware of it. I gather that since the release of the film version of Captain Corelli's Mandolin and the resultant upsurge in popularity of Kefalonia as a destination, tour companies have cashed in on these type of events and many more tourists visit them. I believe the villagers now gather up the snakes in the preceding days to avoid them accidentally being squished on the roads. Perhaps that is why there weren't many to be seen the day before? Or maybe they knew something the humans didn't! Either way, it was quite a spectacle, a great atmosphere and well worth the trip.

Ellenjay

Jan 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Thank you for your post Trixie75<div>I would love to visit the snake festival but must wait until September for my Kefalonia visit.</div><div>I might look at Markopoulo church though.</div>

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors