Welcome To The New Forum

Claim your account

We have recently updated the forum software so if you are already a member you can claim your new forum account below.

Passports And Hotels

G

Just wondering - how prevalent is the practice of hotels insisting you hand over your passport while you stay? I haven't had to do it on any of the package bookings I've been on, but I've heard of people who have in larger hotels on other islands. Including one girl (on Kos, I think) who got back to the airport only to find they'd given her the wrong passport on checking out!

davyboy

Jan 11, 2012
Yorkshire
As I understand, it is a legal requirement. It has always been that the hotel just keeps it till the next day when you can reclaim it. All they need are your details to record (just in case anything happens whilst on holiday the police can check your details) and should not keep it longer. As for the girl on Kos she really should have checked the passport before leaving the hotel.

Elliemay

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2012
Kavadades
I believe that it is the law that whilst in Greece you should carry photographic ID in the form of an ID card or passport at all times, so there is no way that the hotel should keep your passport.<div>However, saying that, I just carry a copy of my passport as am afraid of losing the original and all the rigmarole that it could entail obtaining a new one.</div>

G

Ah, yes, I remember showing my passport, or leaving it with the owner overnight - I guess to take a copy of details. I usually leave mine in a safety deposit box anyway.

So it was probably just an isolated case of the hotel keeping it for the whole stay. I wonder if it was for some sort of security against damage? But yes, she was a bit dim not to have checked she got the right one back. Still, the hotel shouldn't have been witholding it right up until she left.

Feb 9, 2013
north yorkshire
They did used to do that at all hotels but as the years have gone by they just take ours on arrival, scan it & give it back immediately, thats in Corfu, also Lanzarote where we go for our winter holiday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors