Welcome To The New Forum

Claim your account

We have recently updated the forum software so if you are already a member you can claim your new forum account below.

Mainland Rail Routes

TerryintheWest

Jan 11, 2012
none selected
One of my guide books (2007) shows that there is a railwayalong the west coast that goes through Killini, Patras, Algio, Diakofto and on to Athens. Is this a current service and if so how often does it run?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>best wishes</DIV>
<DIV>Terry</DIV>

TerryintheWest

Jan 11, 2012
none selected
Hiya,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Many thanks for the information. If we get a ferry into Patras from Ithaki or Kefalonia, we have a decent route into Athens. Now to find out about timetables!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>best wishes,</DIV>
<DIV>Terry</DIV>

Aug 6, 2012
Moscow, Russia

TerryintheWest

Jan 11, 2012
none selected
Thanks for the links. It would seem that the bus is the way to go. We know now that if wehave a few days in Corfu and decide to miss out the rest of the Ionians, we can get a bus from Corfu to Athens. However, now we know we have an "escape" route via Patras.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Many thanks</DIV>
<DIV>Terry</DIV>

G

There used to be a metre gauge line all around the Peloponnese. Sadly, operation was suspended a couple of years ago and services from Athens now use new standard gauge tracks as far as Kiato on the northern coast.<div>
</div><div>The old track is in such poor condition that it is doubtful public service will ever resume. There are however, plans to extend the standard gauge operation as far as Patras.</div><div>
</div><div>For the present,http://www.raildude.com/en/train-connections-city/patras-athens/greece/978</div><div>gives what I believe to be reliable schedules from Paras to Athens and v/v, changing bus/train at Kiato. TrainOSE buses go from the old station on the port at Patras. There are also KTEL services from the KTEL bus station on the road which runs behind the port. Easy to find.</div><div>
</div><div>Shame the system is defunct. It was wonderfully scenic, though time consuming. I am lucky to have covered it all, back in the 80s</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors