Welcome To The New Forum

Claim your account

We have recently updated the forum software so if you are already a member you can claim your new forum account below.

Just Booked Belvedere Again

Feb 27, 2013
Tamworth
Very excited! Couldn't pass up a bargain package price.
<DIV>We're going on June 16th, will it be busier than it was at the end of September last year?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I haven't counted how many sleeps yet, but I will soon
</DIV>

G

Probably not much in it. Paleo is at its busiest - mostly with day visitors - from the weekend in the middle of July until the end of August, while the Italians are on holiday.

Glad you liked the Belvedere. By the way, did Aris still have that yappy dog at the end of the season? Nikos was really annoyed with him for getting such a noisy little mutt.

'Countdown Widget' on my phone says 138 sleeps for me. Crikey.

Feb 27, 2013
Tamworth
Hi Joefish
<DIV>Yappy dog still in attendance, it nearly strangled itself when we were there, fell off a balcony and got caught up in it's lead!</DIV>
<DIV>I'm hoping the evenings will be a bit livlier to be honest, last year it was pretty dead in the bars, I don't mind a quiet drink but everywhere we went seemed tyo only have maybe 3 or 4 other people in there, taverna's were busier but they were pretty much finished by 9.30 except the very busiest ones.</DIV>

Jan 11, 2012
Scotland
Hi Nardine,
You should walk along to Maria Studios/Faros pool bar for a drink or meal. Five minutes from you and it is normally busy around the bar. It is open to about one in the morning. They also do a great BBQ on a Saturday which is always busy with great food and lots of laughs. Have a look on trip advisor as to what people say.

Marion and I are at the Maria from the 9th of June for three weeks so may see you at the bar.

Take care

Tom and Marion

Feb 27, 2013
Tamworth
Hi Tom
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Where abouts is that then? We'll happily walk the length of the road in an evening, we've gone to Aladino's for a drink and finished at Spiro's for a meal in a night.</DIV>
<DIV>Belevedere pool bar was always pretty busy but we like to get out & about
</DIV>

G

Faros is roughly opposite the abandoned Oceanis Hotel. That's the one you can see on the dragon's head peninsula off to the left when looking out from the Belvedere.

If you don't mind a really long walk, another busy late bar is the Acapulco. That's just past Spiro's, on the right, there's a path through the trees to the seafront.

The Greek Way grill house is usually open very late, even if there aren't that many customers around. That's up the steps inland opposite the silversmiths and the sign for the Akron (the one that looks like a petrol station sign and advertises boat hire, before the road curves up to the big Akrotiri Beach Hotel).

The only other place that sees a lot of people is the Unlimit bar, but only during high season, when the Italian and Greek kids all ride in on their tatty mopeds. And it's all laid out for little cliques of 6-10 people around each table.

But Paleo always seems a bit quiet in the evenings, compared to all the people who come down during the day.

paleogirl

Jan 11, 2012
PaleocastritsaHamilton Scot
Glad you got booked. It will be a bit busier but as is said above, not as much as a fortnight or so later. I'm back at the Odysseus in 13 weeks...yes I'm counting and then of course in September too. I like it quiet but I know what you mean- it can be too quiet. Try a night in town-last bus in and then a taxi back. This can be pricey but I think you would love the town after the tourist ships have gone.</font>

Feb 27, 2013
Tamworth
Thanks guys, I'm gonna have to note these down in my guide book, that's what I did last year!
<DIV>We're not after a 'bangin' night out or anything, it's just nice to mix with a few more people in the evenings.</DIV>

Feb 27, 2013
Tamworth
We'll definitely seek it out Tom.
<DIV>I'm having greta fun mentally planning out what we'll do & where we'll go, I know a lot of people thinks it's mad to go back to the same place again & again, maybe they're right, there's a big world out there but I love the feeling of going back to a place you've enjoyed and have got to know.</DIV>

G

A few yards along from those is Petrino's. I honestly can't believe I'm the first to mention it. A lovely café of tables under inter-woven trees. Look for the sawn-off log sign out front, usually with a few of the letters missing! They play some amazingly chilled music in the evenings (first time I'd ever heard Marianne Faithfull's hauntingly cracked cover of The Ballad of Lucy Jordan) but the highpoint is one of their home-made burgers served in a hot foil pouch for lunch for around €2.50.

In case you hadn't already been advised, the restaurants adjacent to the beach do fine main meals, but their daytime lunch menus aimed at the day-trippers may leave one unsated. I've known the waiters themselves advise me away from certain choices, rather to stick to the main menu - which is available all day anyway. Lunches get better in value back on the road, and increase as you head up it. Return in the evenings when they're less busy for your dinner. Though the small bakery by the Apollon, facing the beach, the restaurant with the narrow wooden veranda and really tiny waitresses on the road just up from it (I forget the name, can't forget the pizza!) and the Akron, back up on that next-but-one beach below the Akrotiri hotel, also come highly recommended for lunch.

Jan 11, 2012
Scotland
Hi,
Got to agree with Joefish when it comes to Petrino Garden one of our most favourite places. We will see Panos in 17 days time and looking forward to one of his burgers. (if he is making them leading up to Easter).
The chicken curry could also be off the menu due to lent , so Marion will have to wait to June for her fix.

Just have to drink Panos excellent wine
Tom

Feb 27, 2013
Tamworth
Hi Joefish & Houndman, we found Petrino's last time! Both loved the icy cold Alpha beer, didn't eat there though.
We cottoned on to the busier restaurants at the main beach and revisited in the evening but to be honest, end of September they were dead! Had a nice meal at Limani by the harbour but the rest of the week we ate at restaurants/taverna's further up the road, Nausika being our favourite, do want to try and find some other places that we didn't go to last time.

G

There's still plenty I haven't tried myself. With everyone telling you their favourite you can end up with a list too long for one trip before you even go. Especially if there's already one or two you want to go back to from a previous visit.

I've always walked straight past the Tango Bar opposite the Akrotiri loads of times, not realising that on that bend, the view from the back must be quite amazing, so will have to pop in there. And there's an arch that says 'Adama' on it near the Belvedere. Nor have I been in the Horizon, right next door to the Belvedere. And I've passed Oasis loads of times on the way to Spiros but never stopped there.

G

No sign of the yappy dog this year!
I meant to go to Oassis but forgot it closed last year.
One I also meant to try but - shock! - the Adama is no more. All closed and overgrown.
The Greek Way was doing very good business this year, deservedly so.
But Spiros has massively toned down the spicy special saganaki, apparently due to demand from presumably a lot of weedy customers who just can't handle it...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors