Welcome To The New Forum

Claim your account

We have recently updated the forum software so if you are already a member you can claim your new forum account below.

Driving

Jan 11, 2012
United Kingdom
How easy is driving from Prevesa airport to Lefkada? Would you recommend getting a taxi to the Villa you have chosen or is it quite easy to drive directly to it?<div>We are thinking of booking a holiday there next year and any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.</div><div>Husband is in his 60's but a good careful driver.</div><div>Thanks in advance
</div>

SusieH

Jan 11, 2012
none selected
We drove with no problem, once you get out of the airport and on the right road it is straight through

Coming back we decided to go over the top to the other side as we had time to kill, was no problem at all, like driving along the lanes of Gloucestershire, no tremendous drops to frighten you!! Lovely countryside.

Apart from driving on the other side of the road I would say the roads are among the best I have seen in Greece

Go for it

rocdoc

Jan 11, 2012
lowestoft
Yes the road is not difficult at all and driving on Lekada is a delight, very little traffic and good roads. Gorgeous scenery and beaches too. Have a lovely time.

SusieH

Jan 11, 2012
none selected
Sorry, cannot help you with accommodation, as we actually stayed on Meganissi, took the car over on the ferry from Lefkas - had to pay extra car insurance for doing so, but it was worth it!!! Meganissi is like a time warp, the Greece of 30 years ago

SusieH

Jan 11, 2012
none selected
Andrea

If you want to stay in Meganissi and want to be near to some tavernas and bars then I would suggest you look for accommodation in Vathi or in Spartochori the old Chora on the hilltop

We actually stayed in a lovely spot right on a small cove but it was quite a hike to Katomeri and even more of a hike to Vathi if you did not want to drive

Even though it is a small island we found the car was a necessity to get to all the lovely coves and villages easily, there is a bus but they are few and far between

It is very laid back though. There is one village policeman who was off sick when we were there. One primary type school, the kids go over by ferry for secondary school

The ferry is cheap and if you want to take the car to Lefkas to explore, it is not expensive to do so

Vathi is an old fashioned fishing port which the yachties also use. There are a couple of bars and one or two old fashioned Greek drinking establishments. A good baker, good supermarkets, prices are cheap. The bottle shop in Katomeri will deliver to your accomodation as I believe will most of the supermarkets. Vathi also has a traditional cake and coffee shop

Beaches are mostly pebble or shingle and we did not see a single sub bed anywhere although this may change in high season although I would not bet on it!!

A lot of the women still wear the traditional dress whcih on Meganissi is the brown dress with lots of frills. The women traditionally carry everything on their heads. We saw everything from a bed to a TV to a washbasin

This is because until fairly recent years there was no electricity or mains water on the island and the women had to carry water up from the coastal wells to the high villages on their heads. Most of the men were sailors employed by Onassis so were away most of the time. Spartohori was the last to get the luxuries we all take for granted

Any more info needed, just ask!!!

Susie

Jan 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Thanks for all that information Susie. I am wondering if we should have a week on Lefkas and a week on Meganissi. Certainly has wetted our appetite and I will be exploring links via the internet. We live in Norfolk so probably will fly to Amsterdam and get a connecting flight to Preveza from there. Susie did you hire your car on Lefkas or is car hire available on Meganissi? Any advise on villas and travel arrangements would be welcome.<div>Thanks once again.</div>

SusieH

Jan 11, 2012
none selected
Can't really help on villas except I know there are quite a few available on internet. Only thing I would be careful of is making sure you know exactly where a property is, some can be a way out of the villages

So far as cars are concerned, I think you can only hire them on Lefkas, they will deliver to the island or you can collect, same with scooters - usually at Nidri if you want one for Lefkas

We hire ours on the internet and collect at the airport as you will have realised and use Economy car rentals- www.economycarrentals.com. They include full insurance in their prices and have a UK number you can call, you pay a small depot when you book and pay the balance on pick up. We have used them for about 10 years and they have never given us any problems at all and they are usually cheaper than anyone else too which is a bonus. Even our Greek handyman, who lives in England but comes from Preveza, uses them on his holidays home so that says a lot. If you want to take the car over to Meganissi there is extra insurance to pay on collection as I said, I think it was about 20 euros. Apart from that no extras at all

We always fly from Gatwick to Preveza so can't really help you with flights but I know they are in short supply these days from there

Sep 29, 2012
Nea Sinopi
Is someone talking about me here???? Oh well! small world! I use to be the handyman in Gloucestershire!!! I will now be the handyman in Preveza Lefkada and surounding area! as from January 2013 <div>Regards Steff</div>

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors