Welcome To The New Forum

Claim your account

We have recently updated the forum software so if you are already a member you can claim your new forum account below.

Doctors Surgery Which Accepts EHIC

Elliemay

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2012
Kavadades
Hi,<div>You probably all know, but can everyone be aware that the E111 was replaced by the European Insurance Card (EHIC) in January 2006.</div><div>
</div><div>http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx
</div><div>
</div><div>I see so many people referring to the E111, which is now 6 years out of date.</div><div>Also if you applied for an EHIC card early on, it may need replacing. Make sure you go to a Government site to update your card, there should be NO cost.</div>

Jan 11, 2012
United Kingdom
At least I know ours are up to date as we renewed them about 3 years ago, and they now run out in the next 2 years. Good advice to check them out and also to make sure you have one in the first place.<div>
</div>

DAVID1

Jan 11, 2012
Neath Wales
I really don't understand how a website which charges for something that is FREE is allowed to function. It should be closed down.

I hope everyone does check the renewal date on their card.

David

Bridie1

Jan 11, 2012
South Wales
Apologies Elliemay. The address I have given above takes you through to the same one as you have posted, I just went the long way around!!!

I will delete mine so there's no confusion.

David. I totally agree with you and just hope people haven't been caught out!

BruceAndMaria

Jan 11, 2012
KOSTAS BAR
These sites don't and can't charge you for the EHIC card, what they docharge you for is the service they provide by getting you a EHIC card..not the card it's self.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>They are clever enough to put in small print that you can do this yourselves and some I've seen even supply the government website to do this..Just so they stay within the law.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The problem arises when people Google EHIC CARDSand up pops thesesites.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Bruce</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Edit: This is from the first site that came up after googling EHIC CARD.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Free from www.ehic.org.uk or just £14.99 from this web site or just £19.99 for express.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>But this information was tucked away in their "contact us"</DIV>

Mrs Mushypea

Jan 11, 2012
Bolton Greater Manchester
Bruce is correct... they charge for basically typing up the form for you!!! Absolutely crazy. ehic.org.uk renewal of EHIC cards is straight forward and takes about 2 minutes of your time. These companies are charging to do that for you!!! I had to relay this information to friends once who were just about to shell out £14.99 for 5!!! yes 5 health insurance cards for their family!!!

Even if you are not computer savvy EHIC's can be applied for via telephone they also have a loop for the hard of hearing and also Age concern and other charitable organisations can do the necessary for you.

BUT REMEMBER THE CARDS ARE TOTALLY FREE AND YOU SHOULD NOT INCUR ANY EXPENSE WHATSOEVER

daveh

Jan 11, 2012
United Kingdom
I'm rather late picking up on this thread; the question should not be 21 or 22 days cover. What if you go into hospital on day 20 and need to stay there for a week or more before you could fly home. You would have no cover after day 22 and be in a right mess at a time when you had more important things to worry about. Always take cover for a least a month from the start date. Or better still have a least a month tagged on after the day you are due to fly home. With most companies you wont find the premium is much more than for 2 or 3 week cover but it then covers all eventualities; remember the volcanic ash cloud; had your cover run out the day you were due to go home you would have been in a pickle.

kinninviekid

Jan 11, 2012
Kinninvie
Better still always get a quote for annual multi trip cover even if you only have one holiday.<div>Ours was only £15 more than a single trip and even covers us for trips away from home but in the UK.</div><div>That way you are covered 365 days a year.
</div>

Elliemay

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2012
Kavadades
Hi,<div>It all depends on your policy. When we were delayed due to the ash cloud the young lad that was staying with us, had single trip insurance and it was automatically extended. Really need to read the small print.</div>

Jan 11, 2012
United Kingdom
At the moment the cheapest annual cover I can get is over £1300 just for my husband, and that is with a company called All Clear. I have read the reviews and they don't seem to be very good when people have had to make a claim. One hopes that one never has to make a claim, but on the other hand, if you do, you don't want to have problems after having paid that sort of premium.<div>I am wondering if one of the problems is that people do not post reviews on insurance polices where they have made a claim and not had any problems. Maybe this is one area where trip advisor or similar could start a forum, but then again, I am guessing there could be legal problems too.</div><div>
</div>

G

If a person is unfortunate enough to need hospitalization and are unable to return to UK before their insurance expires, they would be automatically covered until they are fit to travel. (According to our broker). By the same token, pre-existing conditions not notified and agreed to beforehand, would not be covered.<div>Bob.</div>

Jan 11, 2012
Salford etc.
Sue them. Sue them now. So long as this was less than 6 years ago (which it must have been, being an iPad), you ought to issue a claim form in the county court. All you would have to lose is the issue fee. I suspect though that once they realise you are serious, they will pay up, with interest. This was an insured loss, and the grounds on which they have refused to meet their contractual obligation seem, from what you have said, to be wholly unfair and unsustainable in law. It sounds very much as though they are in breach of contract.<div>
</div><div>Distilled to its most simple, I'll say this. Don't take an insurance company at its word. It exists to make money for its shareholders. It will never bend over backwards to be nice to you, irrespective of what the adverts might suggest.</div>

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors