Welcome To The New Forum

Claim your account

We have recently updated the forum software so if you are already a member you can claim your new forum account below.

Beach Walk Paleo To Liapades And On To Pelekas.

May 12, 2013
Norwich
Where about's does the walk start from Paleo beach to Liapades and how long a walk please?
Also did read that you can walk from Liapades to Pelekas and even carry on to Agios Gordios.
Any info on this would be appreciated, is all this possible within a day. Did a lot of walking last year and looking forward to some more walks that I have not done.
Did the Paleo to Lakones and then up to Krini and on the road all the way up to the castle and back to Paleo.

Jan 11, 2012
Scotland
Hi,
You will have to like walking if you even think about that walk as it must take 5/6/7 times longer than your last walk. Your last walk must have taken a few hours so I would try and get a lot more information before proceeding.

Kind Regards
Tom

G

At first I thought you were talking about Agios Georgios beach, which is achievable in a day, though a taxi back would be nice.

The route South you're talking about is over a dozen miles (as the crow flies) across a steep landscape. There's something called the 'Corfu Trail' but you're expected to tackle it over several days. Round from Paleo to Liapedes, you just follow the road out and follow the roadsigns. It's about equivalent in effort to your trip up to the Angelokastro. But it's far easier to swim across from the Acapulco bar on the edge of Paleo. I think there's a route over the rocks there if you'd rather cut short the longer road route.

But Pelekas and Agios Gordios? That's at least half an hour if not more by car. On foot, getting on for 15-20 miles allowing for the winding routes and steep climbs. It'd be a tough route for an overnight competitive hike. By day, in the summer, it'd be suicidal. But if you're looking for a way of thinning out applicants for the Marines or something, be my guest...

Seriously though, get a good map with terrain marked on it, do some more research, and try not to be too ambitious.

Jan 11, 2012
Burton-on-Trent
The walk from Paleolithic to Leapades is relatively easy and not too long. Follow the Corfu Trail signs, yellow markers. Walk to Acapulco Bar, the over the top and down through Elly Beach Hotel and you are on Liapades Beach. To go back follow road up to Village taverns, turn left to main road, left again and just keep going. A bit up hill and down dale but beautiful views. Enjoy!

May 12, 2013
Norwich
Thanks guys for replies, think I will take your valuable advice and do some reseach along with a good map.
Last walk took about 5 hours including refreshment stops. When we got to the castle that took a bit of time getting to the top lol!
Lilizella, think I will start off with your suggestion, sounds relatively easy!
Will have to hire a car for further afield trips.

Thanks again Diana

May 12, 2013
Norwich
We also did a half dayish walk from Paleo to Doukades and visited Elizabeths for lunch.
Was absolutely stunned how beautiful the village was.
We had a lovely lunch at Elizabeths.
Can anyone recommend any other nice villages to walk to for lunch please?

Jan 11, 2012
Scotland
Hi Diana,
Got to agree with Joefishes comments.

The walk/climb and more climbing over the rocks and down ropes from the Acapulco bar is not as easy as it sounds. Make sure you have good shoes on. Marion and I did it a few years ago and thought we had entered the Krypton factor. Don't know to this day how Marion did it as she had a pair of flip flops on

Enjoy

Kind Regards
Tom

G

By the way, the map doesn't go into this level of detail, but has anyone else tried walking across from the Acapulco to Liapades beach?

I've seen a few folk mention that it involves a ladder or rope down a cliff, presumably at the Liapades end onto the beach? Is this from going to the top of the Acapulco's sea steps and trying to cross the rocks?

Google's satellite view hints at a path higher up on the ridge above those rocks, from just opposite the Acapulco's pool across to the valley. Is there such a route? Is it the part of the Corfu Trail that's supposed to cut through here, as the road route is a very long diversion but the rock route sounds a bit too tricky to put in a walking guide?

Jan 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi
We did the walk from just below the Acapulco pool to Liapades beach about 8 years ago - it was a right scramble in places but Ive heard its a bit easier these days - still would recommend decent shoes though.

G

That was over the rocks alongside the sea, I presume?

From looking at the panoramic pictures from Liapades beach it looks like it's quite a high ridge between that end of Paleo and Liapades, with a hotel on the top and a patch of trees at the base of quite a high cliff - I thought the road went so far inland around the head of a valley but it looks like it's avoiding quite a climb. I know the Corfu Trail goes through that area - maybe that goes over the top?

G

Yes Joefish it is rather a scramble. The walk is part of the Corfu Trail and does take you up high over the ridge with about a 10 to 15 foot drop down a ladder then down a track through the trees into the grounds of the Elly Beach, on across the beach to the road. Take this and walk up to Liapades village. Well worth it. There is a bus that will take you back to Paleo at 12.15 which will say Kyrkira but goes by way of Paleo. Wait by the village taverns and playground. It's a beautiful walk and well worth the effort.

G

I shall definitely take ma wee booties then. I wanted to get over there and then head for the other beaches further round.

But I'm sure I remember a few years ago, when I went down and swam across, that there were a few people who set out to walk over the rocks right by the sea, rather than follow the trail through the wooded bit over the ridge. That looks like a really rough route too, and I don't know if they made it, but that seems to be why I'm confused about the best way to go.

G

Looks precarious to me going over the rocks, you only have to fall and it could be serious. Rovinia beach, the next after Gyfira is very nice but no taverns. The butty boat comes sometimes but l wouldn't rely on it. No toilets either!!!

<div>
</div>

G

OK, I found the trail this year. A bit steep in places but not too strenuous overall. It doesn't go right over the top of the hill, just round the front. The loft ladder someone's built on the Liapades side is pretty sturdy; it's just turning round to get onto it to come down which is a bit tricky.

From there I walked out of Liapades and on round and down to the double-sided Alipa beach, and back, which is a decent trek for a day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors